Your Privacy, our priority
At Wilkies, maintaining the security of your personal data is our priority and we are wholly committed to respecting your privacy rights. We pledge to handle your data fairly and legally at all times and are dedicated to being transparent about the personal data we collect and how we use it.
This privacy notice explains:
- How we use your data;
- how long we store your data;
- what personal data we collect;
- how we ensure that your privacy is maintained; and
- your legal rights relating to your personal data
HOW WE USE YOUR DATA
- To provide goods and services to you;
- to manage any registered Reward Cards that you hold with us;
- to verify your identity, for example if you don’t have your Reward card to hand when shopping or for proof of purchase if you don’t have your receipt.
- for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes;
- with your agreement, to contact you electronically about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you;
- to enable Wilkies to manage customer service interactions with you; and
- where we have the legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
- To fulfil our Reward Card Scheme promise, we will use your personal data to update you on Wilkies products that may be of interest to you and to send you exclusive event invitations or vouchers;
- Wilkies uses your personal data for electronic marketing purposes (with your consent) and may send you postal mail to fulfil the purpose above;
- to ensure that we are sending you offers that are relative to your preferred Wilkies store, we may record the details of items that you buy and how often you shop with us and the location of your preferred store.
You have the right to opt-out of receiving Wilkies promotional communications at any time, by:
- making use of the simple “unsubscribe” link in any email that we send you
- following the clear instructions on how to opt-out of postal marketing, printed on every promotion that we send you in the post.
- and/or contacting Wilkies via the contact channels set out in this Policy
We may analyse your browsing and purchasing activity, both on-line and in store, and your responses to marketing communications. The results of this analysis, together with other demographic data, allows us to ensure that we contact you with information on products and offers that are relevant to you. To do so, we use software and other technology (automated processing).
2. SHARING DATA WITH THIRD PARTIES
Our service providers and suppliers
In order to carry out our duties to you, we may need to share your personal data with some of our service partners. These include IT and marketing service providers. Marketing providers include: the electronic marketing company who help us to manage our promotional email communications with you, and our postal mail partners who help us to prepare the promotions you get through the post before they send to Royal Mail for delivery.
Wilkies only provide our service partners with the information that they need to perform their specific services to us and you. We only allow our service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls. We have also imposed contractual obligations on service providers relating to data protection and security, which mean they can only use your data to provide services to Wilkies and to you, and for no other purposes.
Other third parties
Aside from our service providers, Wilkies will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below. We will never sell or rent your personal data to other organisations for marketing purposes or other.
We may share your data with:
- credit reference agencies where necessary for card payments;
- governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so;
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases);
- for the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders; and
- for the protection of our employees and customers
HOW LONG WILL WE KEEP YOUR DATA?
We will not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy. Different retention periods apply for different types of data. Examples include:
- If you are a Reward Card Holder, we will retain your personal data for the duration of your active membership with us. This is to fulfil our obligations to you as a Reward Card Holder, such as sending you exclusive event invitations and vouchers. If you have not used your Reward Card in (a maximum of) 36 months, we will deem you to be inactive and close or suspend your account. We may contact you in this period to let you know that your account had been deemed inactive. If your account is not re-activated in a further six months, we will ensure that your personal data is no longer retained.
- If you return an item to us, we will ask for your name, address and signature. We will retain this information for a maximum of 12 months, to exercise our legal rights in fraud and crime prevention. We will only ever use your personal data for the purpose it was provided.
- If you have entered a competition via social networks or similar platforms, we may ask for your personal details to send you a prize. Once this transaction is complete, we will delete your personal data from our communications within 30 days. This personal data will only ever be used for the purpose of fulfilling our promise.
WHAT DATA DO WE COLLECT AND WHY?
Depending on the service in question we may ask you to provide the following personal data:
- If you would like to be part of our Reward Card Holder scheme we may ask you for: your title and first initial of your first name; your surname; your address and postcode; your telephone number; your email address and your date of birth as well as your communication and marketing preferences. These details allow us to fulfil our promise to you as a Reward Card Holder and provide an effective service.
- If you shop with us in-store your image may be recorded on CCTV, for the prevention of crime. When you make a purchase in-store or over the phone, if you are paying by card, we will take your payment card details. If we need to send you an item, we will collect your address details and name.
- If you return an item we will ask you for your name and address. We record this information for the prevention of fraud and crime.
- If you interact with us on social media, we may use your username to help us respond to comments, messages or competition entries. If you contact us directly with a query, feedback or other via email, postal or other we will use your details to reply to you.
Our website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children. In specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, for example when you sign up to our mailing list on our website, or send an email to our management teams. Other personal data is collected indirectly, for example your browsing or shopping activity. We may also collect personal data from third parties who have your consent to pass your details to us, or from publicly available sources.
ENSURING YOUR PRIVACY IS MAINTAINED
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA
Wilkies is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure. Our security measures include:
- regular cyber security assessments of all service providers who may handle your personal data;
- security controls (tested regularly) which protect the entire Wilkies IT infrastructure from external attack and unauthorised access;
- internal policies setting out our data security approach and training for employees; and
- we use “https” technology on our website to ensure that online sign-up forms collect and transfer your personal data safely and securely.
HOW YOU CAN HELP PROTECT YOUR DATA
- Wilkies will never ask you to confirm any bank account or credit card details via email. If you receive an email claiming to be from Wilkies asking you to do so, please ignore it and do not respond.
- If you are using a computing device in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session.
YOUR RIGHTS (if you’re happy, we’re happy)
- you have the right to ask what personal data we hold about you at any time;
- you have the right to ask us to update or correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you at any time, free of charge;
- you can ask us to erase all of part of the data that we hold about you at any time;
- you have the right to opt-out of any marketing communications that we send you at any time; and
- you have the right to opt-out of your information being shared in the form of cookies
If you wish to contact us regarding any of the points in this section, please contact us using the contact details set out in this policy.
THE LEGAL BASIS WE RELY ON
Wilkies collects and uses customers’ personal data because is it necessary for:
- the pursuit of our legitimate interests (as set out below);
- the purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract for the sale of goods to a customer; or
- complying with our legal obligations.
- In some cases, we will ask for your consent to contact you via a specific method. An example of this would be, when we ask you to tick a box to receive email newsletters from Wilkies. We will always be transparent about what you are consenting to and you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
As a business, there are cases where it is in our legitimate interest to process personal data. We will rely on legitimate interest for certain processes so long as it does not affect your rights, freedom or interests. These include:
- selling and supplying goods and services to our customers;
- fulfilling our duties to our customers, colleagues, shareholders and other stakeholders.
- protecting customers, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare;
- sending promotional communications through direct mail which are relevant and tailored to individual customers (including administering our Reward Card Holder scheme);
- understanding our customers’ behaviour, activities, preferences, and needs;
- improving existing products and services and developing new products and services;
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- preventing, investigating and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and prosecuting offenders, including working with law enforcement agencies;
- handling customer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes;
- managing insurance claims by customers;
- protecting Wilkies, its employees and customers, by taking appropriate legal action against third parties who have committed criminal acts or are in breach of legal obligations to Wilkies;
- effectively handling any legal claims or regulatory enforcement actions taken against Wilkies; and
- fulfilling our duties to our customers, colleagues, shareholders and other stakeholders
If you have any questions relating to how we process and manage your personal data, you can contact our data privacy controller any time by emailing [email protected] or calling 0131 046 2552.
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your computer or other devices (such as smart phones or tablets) as you browse the website. They are used to remember when your computer or device accesses our website.
Cookies used on our website:
Cookies we collect through Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics to collect statistical data about our visitors. We collect this information in a way that does not identify you and the data is not shared with anybody else.
ASPSESSION (operational cookie)
used to store the session id of a user. The data is stored on the server and not in the cookie. These cookies are set to expire as soon as a user quits their browser.
Operational cookies are required for our site to operate and do not contain personal data. We therefore consider these cookies necessary in order to provide a service to the user.
Acceptcookie (operational cookie)
used to tell us that you accept cookies.
Keeps track of the number of times a visitor has been to the site pertaining to the cookie, when their first visit was, and when their last visit occurred.
Records moment in time when a visitor enters a site and expires at the end of the session.
Records a moment in time when a visitor leaves a site and expires after 30 minutes.
Keeps track of where the visitor came from, what search engine was used, what link was clicked on and what keyword was used.
THIRD PARTY COOKIES
Our site has a number of pages with embedded videos or other content from a third party. Cookies placed on your computer or mobile device from a third party are not related to our website.
We do not control how a third party uses their cookies. Please check third party websites' privacy policies:
You could also delete cookies from your device and change cookies setting in your chosen browser - see how to delete cookies.